What is stage 1?
This stage marks the first phase of the data maturity journey. Business Intelligence (BI) & Analytics is yet to catch on in your organisation and you mainly embrace reporting that’s crucial to business operations. This often comes in the form of teams across the business reporting on activity such as marketing spend, absence, turnover and profit and loss; and may be done as a result of ad-hoc requests rather than as part of a procedural norm.
At this stage, there may be little collaboration between teams, with no formal tools or standards in place to guide reporting. This can lead to departments across the business carrying out different reporting practices, resulting in “silos” forming within the workplace.
What's the problem?
- Lack of data standards results in poor data quality
- No centralised system, which means that the end user (e.g. Finance, HR, Marketing) will have to pull a lot of reports from various sources
- Lack of collaboration between teams which can result in “workplace silos”
- Reliance on spreadsheets prove simple to use but are time-consuming and provide only limited insight
- Minimal datasets due to reporting only being carried out for operational purposes
- Excel provides limited visualisation capabilities
- Reliant on expertise with Excel or other like package
Current situation: Information disorder
Lack of investment in BI & Analytics technology and reliance on spreadsheets means that information is generally sporadic and disordered. Until this is resolved, data cannot serve as a strategic tool and will only be useful in giving you a snapshot view of what has already happened in your organisation.
To begin to make your data work to your advantage, you’ll need to stop relying on spreadsheets and embrace BI & Analytics. It only takes one team or individual get the ball rolling.
You’ll start small, but as others witness the benefits, these practices can quickly spread across the business and impact your organisation as a whole.
It's time to take the first step of your data journey - here are some of the tools you'll need to get to the next stage.
Want it all?
If you're looking for the full analytics package, take a look at our one-stop-shop where you can visualise, plan and predict all in one solution.
SAP Analytics Cloud
A superior hybrid system that allows you to report, discover, analyse, plan, predict and collaborate all in one cloud solution.